Past inductees include U.S. presidents Eisenhower, Ford and Reagan. Also, great names of accomplishment such as Buzz Aldrin, Hank Aaron, Bob Hope, Oprah Winfrey, Waylon Jennings, Condoleezza Rice, Chuck Yeager, Roger Staubach, Michael Bloomberg, T. Boone Pickens, Roger Penske, H. Ross Perot, Ray Kroc, Mary Kay Ash, Tom Landry and a host of others who started from very humble beginnings, yet ultimately gave much to the world.
Horatio Alger Association honored the following 12 individuals, all embodying the Association's core values of perseverance, integrity and a commitment to excellence, with lifetime membership into the organization:
- Gregory E. Abel, chairman, president and CEO, Berkshire Hathaway Energy;
- Ronald M. Bergeron Sr., founder and CEO, Bergeron Land Development, Inc., Bergeron Family of Companiesand Bergeron Properties & Investment Corp.;
- Don R. Daseke, founder, chairman, president and CEO, Daseke, Inc.;
- Alphonso R. Jackson, CEO, A.R. Jackson Advisors LLC and 13thU.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development;
- David Johnston, chair, Rideau Hall Foundation and 28thGovernor General of Canada
- Larry Lawson, founder and CEO, HeartcoR Solutions;
- Jimmy John Liautaud, owner, founder and chairman, Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches;
- Rob Lowe, film and television actor, producer, writer, director and New York Times best-selling author;
- Reba McEntire, multi-media entertainer and entrepreneur;
- James H. Pugh, Jr., CEO, owner and chairman, Epoch Residential;
- Ernest S. Rady, founder, executive chairman of the board, president and CEO, American Assets Trust, Inc. and founder and executive chairman, ICW Group Insurance Companies;
- H. Lee Scott, Jr., former president, CEO and chairman of the executive committee, Wal-Mart Stores.
For more information about the announcement visit the association web site.